Thursday, September 1, 2016

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Review Part 1


I can see why the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series is so popular! The book is hilarious, honest, engaging, and full of valuable lessons for young adults. Did anyone actually enjoy middle school? I don't think I have met a single person who did not share the same sentiment regarding middle school: it was awful. They were awkward, hit their growth spurt (or didn’t), their friends changed, kids were mean, they were uncoordinated, etc. This book is stuffed full of stories that the reader can relate to in one way or another. 

I absolutely love how this book is written especially for the audience it is intended for. Books written in first person feel more relatable, in my opinion, which I think is an important quality in finding books for reluctant readers. Getting kids interested in reading can be difficult, but I think even the most reluctant of readers would enjoy these books immensely. The anecdotes are hilarious and the cartoons bring the stories to life, add in more laughs, and get the reader eager to flip the page. One of my personal favorite cartoons was when Greg was describing how his dad gets angry vs. his mom. The description was funny enough but the cartoon made it even funnier! I immediately related my own experiences to many of Greg's stories while reading and relived some funny and painfully awkward times. While I am enjoying the book, there are some things that I do not love about it and make me question how age appropriate it is for younger kids. Bad character traits, bullying, unfriendliness, humiliation, etc. are all seen here and there throughout the book. That being said, the book is written in the eyes of a middle school student and I do think that many kids of that age can relate to Greg's day to day life. I also think that there are plenty of activities that parents or teachers can create based on the book that will help children realize what is right vs. wrong, develop their thinking and discussion skills, and let them use their creativity.

One activity that I think would be really fun with the younger grades would be a Halloween activity. On page 62, Greg discusses how he never gets a store bought costume and how he can never think of an amazing costume idea. You could have your students either individually or in pairs design a costume for Greg using random craft materials. Or you could even have them design their own haunted house map! It could be tied into a geography unit even and students would have to include a title, direction, a scale, a legend, etc. There are also plenty of situations that Greg trudges through that I think would be important to bring up and discuss with students. On page 17, Greg talks about avoiding his “best friend” Rowley and how he thinks their friendship is questionable. Are Greg’s reasons for not wanting to be friends with Rowley anymore fair or right? Is it right to avoid a friend because you’re embarrassed of them? What would you do in Greg’s situation? Should you care what others think? On page 93, Greg talks about how he was going to cheat on his state capitals quiz but Patty Farrell mentioned the poster to the teacher and Greg subsequently failed the quiz. Would you have spoken up and told the teacher? Why is cheating harmful to your education? There are an abundance of discussion questions that you could base off of the reading to help your students grow as individuals. 

Knowing how popular this series is, how funny the first half of the book was, and how funny the movie looks, I don't think the second half of the book will disappoint!



3 comments:

  1. I agree about how having the book written in first person made the book more enjoyable! I really felt like I was listening to a middle schooler, the voice sounded so genuinely young and curious. I'm wondering if the author has a son that age, or teaches middle school. He must have had some inspiration or muse. I love your suggestions for activities based around this book! The haunted house map would be perfect for connecting this with a math lesson where the students would focus on size, scale, and distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you brought up the book being in first person and how that can make it more appealing for some readers. I agree with this. I also agree that some of the content is questionable but I like the suggestions you made for how a teacher might address these issues in the classroom. I also agree that the second half of the book ought to be entertaining as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly did not even think about the behaviors in the book. Good catch Kelcie, I think my thoughts were more from an adult's view in the reminiscing and enjoying the connections I had to Greg. But I can totally see it now, if we read this in a fourth-grade class I could see these behaviors re-enacted and even taken to middle school. Also, I'm not sure if I was the only one but Friend Drama started in 4th and 5th grade, where some friends wouldn't want to hang out with others and someone would talk bad about someone else, etc. So encouraging that discussion on how Greg treats Rowley is definitely a great conversation to have.

    ReplyDelete