Monday, September 5, 2016

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Review Part 2

I enjoyed finishing this book, however I definitely laughed more during the first half of it. My opinion on how Greg treats his “best friend” didn't change but I think that it's an honest portrayal of many kids at that age. I loved when Greg and Rowley joined the Safety Patrol because their reasonings were typical for their age: they got to miss twenty minutes of class, got bully protection, AND got free hot chocolate. I'd do it too for free hot chocolate!
One of my favorite things about this book was all of the lesson plan opportunities. A teacher could develop a lesson around bullying, manners, video games, student elections, etc. Three that I immediately thought of while finishing the book were lessons on being grateful, on doing the right thing, and a creative writing lesson. On page 120, Greg starts writing about his Christmas and how disappointed he was with the gifts he received. At one point, his mom gets mad at him for not hiding his expression towards a gift well. I think it would be interesting to see if students ever felt that way about a gift, what they learned from that experience, and what they think is truly important. Should they hide their true feelings if they don’t like a gift? What is the more important part of gift giving: the gift or the thought?
In one of the most important journal entries, in my opinion, Greg writes about a situation in which Rowley took the blame for something that Greg did. He struggles with whether or not to tell the truth about the whole situation. You could ask the students whether or not Greg did the right thing and if he did it at the appropriate time. What might have happened if he told the truth right away? Do they think that Rowley’s actions were justified after Greg told him the truth? How would you feel if your friend didn't stand up for you?

I'd also be interested in a creative writing lesson where students had to describe what Greg or Rowley would be like in the future. What kind of job would he have? How would he be as a father? I think the answers could be hilarious!

Overall I think that this is a really entertaining book and will keep kids laughing and wanting to read more. The book is full of growing pains, middle school struggles, sibling fights, and perfect illustrations. I think that supplementing the reading with lessons or discussion questions is important and a great way to maximize the book's potential.

2 comments:

  1. I liked the part of the story were Rowley takes the blame for Greg because it teaches a great lesson for students. I also like the idea of creative writing. Your ideas are great, and you have added on to my list of lessons from this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right that there are so many lessons that can be taught using this book. I think that discussing Greg's behavior to his friend and Rowley's reaction to finding out the truth. I think these are important lessons for all kids to learn. I liked the creative writing topics you suggested.

    ReplyDelete